as you all know, the Windows Embedded Compact 7 Public CTP is available since the beginning of June.
Today I want to talk about the Installation experience:
- Windows XP SP2 / Vista / Server 2003 SP1 / Server 2003 R2 / Server 2008
- Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (90 day trial Version)
- Expression Blend 3 (60 day trial Version)
- .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1)
- NO other Version of Windows Embedded CE or Windows Embedded Compact!
If you install Expression Blend 3 after Windows Embedded Compact 7, you will have to manually reinstall the Windows Embedded Silverlight Tools (WEST) in order to get the Silverlight for Windows Embedded Application template.
Windows Embedded Compact 7 Public CTP:
- You need a Windows Live ID
- Go to the Connection Directory and find Windows Embedded Compact and apply for the free program
- Choose “downloads” on the Windows Embedded Compact 7 Public CTP program page
The link to the Connection Directory on the official Windows Embedded Compact 7 homepage is incorrect as of now.
To install Windows Embedded Compact 7 completely you need to have approximately 55 GB of free hard disk space available on C:\ even if you want to install it onto a different drive. Apparently, the current Windows Embedded Compact 7 installer checks for free space on the C:\ drive regardless of the targeted drive.
Since this is a beta version I would recommend to install Windows Embedded Compact 7 in a virtual mashine.